Saturday, September 29, 2007

My Trip to Milwaukee

We actually flew into Chicago and made the drive north to avoid having a layover since there is no direct flight from Portland. So we stopped for lunch and some "squeeky cheese" at Mars' Cheese Castle. North of Milwaukee is the Village of Kohler, Wisconsin - not too far from Sheboygan. The factory has been around for over 100 years and was started by Mr. Kohler to provide jobs for the many German and Polish immigrants coming to the US. Our tour guide of the factory was a retired worker there, and part of four generations of workers in his family at that same factory. Now, in addition to the factory, there are world class hotels, spas, and golf courses for anyone who wishes to visit.


Kohler Design Center


Kohler Design Center


The American Club Hotel

The pictures are of the Kohler Design Center highlighting their products. We also had classes on such interesting topics as "toilet seats" and "bathing". A highlight for me was my first professional massage - pretty amazing stuff. Below is a picture of the spa and several of my hotel room. For the most part the weather was good. I was expecting cold, but one of the days it hit 90 degrees. And then it rained a little, so it was very humid. I also now understand a little of the rivalry between the Green Bay Packers and the Chicago Bears. It was like Packer-mania since they have been doing so well. And then on Monday Night Football, when the Bears were playing, everyone was very excited since the Bears lost.

Kohler Waters Spa

My Hotel Room


Hotel Room Entry

Hotel Room Tub

On Tuesday I was dropped off at the Milwaukee airport where I picked up my rental car. I then headed to the Milwaukee Historical Society and the Milwaukee Public Library to check out the City Directories. Turns out to be a pretty fabulous resource. And the library is such a beautiful building with a very impressive entry. If I had to do it again, I would have gone straight to the Library. The Historical Society charged admission, was very protective of the City Directories, and closed early. The library was none of those, so I got a lot done at the library - up until they turned the lights out on me. Then I rushed over to Maders to catch dinner before they closed.


Milwaukee Public Library


Milwaukee County Historical Society


Milwaukee County Courthouse - forms the main downtown axis

What a great restaurant. Maders is dubbed as the most famous German restaurant in North America and has been around since 1902. I don't know much about German food, so I decided to go with the Sampler - their top three meals. It consisted of Sauerbraten, Kasseler Rippchen (smoked pork loin), and Wiener Schnitzel. The bread consisted of five types of roles. I also had sides of potatoes, red cabbage, and sauerkraut. All of it was just fabulous - highly recommended. The restaurant was decorated like an old German cottage, and my waitress even had an accent. I would go back again any day.


Looking East down Historic Mitchell Street

Unbelievable how many old, beautiful churches are south of downtown in the area where our family lived. It is interesting to note that this area seems to have always been home to new immigrants. Back when Grandpa lived there, it was the German and Polish, and now it is the Hispanics. So that's why you have things like "Alma's Ministries" at the "Modjeska Theatre" (see picture below). Pretty interesting stuff.


Modjeska Theatre


Basilica of St Josaphat


Looking West down National Ave & South 4th St

Overall I had a great time. Of course it was tough since I tried to do too much in a 24 hour period. I felt like Jack Bauer running around on 24 - "There's not enough time!" But I wouldn't have had it any other way. Now hopefully someday I can make it to Somerset...

No comments: